Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Good advice

I tend to do a lot of hand-drawn floor plans, perspectives and furniture designs, it works for me, my makers and my clients. But more and more I think that I need to smarten up my act and get digital, do proper 3D renders etc. Then I read this great blog entry from Abigail Ahern (she talks a lot about imperfectly perfect interiors) and it made me feel better that STYLE just IS, it's not overly structured or as Abigail says "style comes from the heart and not a text book".

"When it comes to placing furniture  you can draw a floor plan, sketch the room on paper, cut out of paper scaled pieces of furniture and so on. To hell with all of that I say I simply cannot be bothered. Put me in a room,  leave me for a while and I will happily potter away until I’ve got the perfect sense of balance and harmony going on. Its way more fun in my mind than mapping it all out making sure there is x amount of space for traffic lanes, the coffee table is so many centimetres from the sofa, the chairs are so many centimetres from the sofa – ugg cannot stand it. Yes it’s important to have a basic knowledge but really it’s such an old fashioned way of decorating and too formulaic. Follow you heart, try not to shove any sofa’s or chairs against a wall, forget traffic lanes – in my house you can’t even walk in a straight line from one point to another you have to weave (formally trained interior designers will be passing out by now)" 

No comments:

Post a Comment